Construction & Real Estate Development Services
Specialized accounting, tax, and consulting services to general and specialty contractors, home builders, real estate developers, suppliers and construction industry trade associations have been a key part of our business since the firm's inception. Over the years, they have come to trust and rely on the experience and knowledge we provide to help them make fully-informed business decisions. Many long-term relationships have been built based on a well-established trust and a mutual pursuit of excellence.
Our Construction Industry Team
In 1993, we formed the Construction Industry Team to serve the specialized financial needs of contractors and related businesses. This intense focus allows team members to truly keep abreast of the latest accounting pronouncements, tax legislation, and other changes happening within the industry. In turn, we are then able to pass the benefits of that knowledge on to our clients. Currently, 30 percent of our diverse client base consists of clients operating in the construction industry.
Everyone at HS&S is dedicated to the construction industry and to the success of our contractor clients.The members of our Construction Industry Team have taken even a further step of commitment toward our construction clients. These individuals meet on almost a monthly basis to review recent tax and/or accounting developments in the industry. The team members then take that knowledge and provide additional in-house training to our own professionals, as well as provide formal training to other professionals working in the industry.
Another sign of our commitment to the construction industry is our continuing participation in various construction related associations such as:
- Oregon-Columbia Chapter of the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC)
- Construction Financial Management Association – Portland Oregon Chapter (CFMA)
- Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC)
- Columbia Chapter Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association (SMACNA)
- Surety Association of Oregon (SAO)
- Northwest Utility Contractors Association (NWUCA)
Additionally, firm members have developed good working relationships with bonding company representatives and general insurance agencies, attorneys, bankers and other professionals serving the construction industry.
Construction Industry Services
Some of the services we provide our construction industry clients are:
- Accounting and auditing, including personal financial statements
- Tax consulting and compliance, including representation before taxing authorities
- Tax credit consulting
- Implementation of construction specific tax strategies
- Cost segregation
- Job costing systems design
- New entity selection (S corp./C corp./LLC/Partnership)
- Estate and retirement planning, family wealth planning
- Succession planning
- Strategic planning
- Budgeting and cash management
- Risk assessment and management
- ERISA audits, preparation of Form 5500
- Development of accounting systems